Thursday, August 8, 2013

The F Word

First off, there does not need to be a disclaimer with this article.  I am not TALKING about that word, I am talking about the OTHER word.

Fat.


Everyone has said and used it to describe themselves.  (If you have not, props to you!) I know I have stood in the front of the mirror and said, "I look fat in this." When someone else uses the term to describe you, it takes on a different impact. Most overweight people have heard the word used in a hateful way.  Thinking about the use of the word, I still shutter thinking about the playground teasing being called "fatso" when I tried to swing. 
Corri McFadden 

This weekend, I had the opportunity to attend my first blogging conference in which lead to numerous
networking opportunities with fellow bloggers (Go Blog Social).  No one used the adjective "fat" to describe themselves and no one used it to describe me. I felt like I belonged with some amazing creativity and beautiful ladies in which I admire their work.  

The final speaker was Corri McFadden (http://corrimcfadden.com) who hustled her way in her own consignment business to reality TV show to e-fashion house business.  During her honest, upfront presentation, she said something which struck something in me, "Do what's right; You'll always have a clear conscious if you do." Because of this statement, it gave me me courage to step away from something I was battling with. 

I recently stepped away from a group in which I could not support the way the word "Fat" was used. I agreed with the overall mission which was to provide support and resources for overweight women to complete in their first marathon in 2014.  To promote this effort, the organizer put together a worldwide virtual 5k to encourage those who have some extra pounds to finish a 5k every month.  While I agreed with this concept of getting people moving, the term "fat" was used to promote the race for "shock" factor.  
Strong is finishing a Half Marathon

All of a sudden, someone who has been promoted and encouraged a small group of overweight women could have expanded their impact and enthusiasm worldwide with this 5K program.  By expanding it worldwide, her knowledge and personal experience could have been in the lives of numerous women who would have realized the impossible was possible.   But by adding the word "fat" in the title, it took me back to that playground.  

I would not use the term "fat" to describe the ladies who are involved in the program. They are strong and are overcoming challenges everyday to step outside of their comfort zone.  They are being open with their journey and honest with the diversities they are facing as an overweight runner.  No matter what the scale says, they are determined to do what's right for them and their future.  

I will still be following and supporting these ladies on their journey.  I hope they don't consider themselves "fat" because I consider them strong and motivating every day.  Until next time, I hope you are working towards a better you.

10 comments:

  1. Amazing! Well said my friend, very well said!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful post, well said and a great reminder for all of us to love ourselves and others a little more!
    Karen @karenlovestorun

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love that statement! I hope everyone take a moment to tell themselves positive thoughts everyday.

      Delete
  3. Good for you! Sometimes speaking up and stepping back are the best things to do.
    Ginny

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous8/10/2013

    I will never forget the first time I was called fat! I was pregnant and stationed in Hawaii. A soldier called me fat. I was shocked!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well said! Strong, determined, focused, relentless...so many other words could have been used!

    LOL I admit! When I first read the title of your post I thought the you meant other F word :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this post! Great job on stepping away from that awful word! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous8/10/2013

    That's odd that the word fat was used in the title for something that is supposed to be motivational and help people. Congrats for stepping away. You are letting people know it's not okay to use the word.

    I would have loved to have been at that blogging conference!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice post! I used to use this word to describe myself all the time. Sometimes I still do on bad days, but a friend once said the following to me after hearing me call myself fat: "Don't talk about my best friend that way." Her words really stuck with me. I would never use that term to describe another person, so I should not use it on myself.

    ReplyDelete