Monday, June 10, 2013

Ice Ice Water...So Cold!

My two favorite reusable water bottles.  They are
always in my refrigerator full and ready to go
In my effort to increase my daily water intake, I have carrying around glasses of water.  I am hoping by having the glass nearby it will motivate me to drink.  Due to this, I had a klutz moment in which I dropped my phone one of these glasses of water and was without my phone for 16 hours as it dried out.  Needless to say, that I realized how critical a smart phone is to my fitness/nutrition lifestyle. 

So today, I am using one of my reusable bottles to carry my water around.  Prior to my start a journey towards a heart healthy lifestyle, my beverage choices consisted of Starbucks or ice tea.  I would have a glass of water here or there, but for the most part, I was dehydrated myself.  I did not have a soda habit so that was easy to overcome.  My daily struggle is still to hit the recommended daily water intake.

So what is the daily water intake?  Is it going to be the classic 8 glasses of 8 oz. a day, and that should be the same for everyone.  No matter your age, weight, physical activity, etc.  To the Internet we go...I headed to the mayoclinic.com to research what my daily intake would be.  According to the Mayo Clinic who references the Institute of Medicine, an adequate intake of water for men would be 13 cups and women at 9 cups a day.  The 8 by 8 roll would not apply to that.  There are also calculations out there based on your weight and what you should drink, but for me...I am comfortable with saying that I need 96 oz a day.

This is for a couple of reasons: 1) I need to lose weight so the more I keep my body hydrate, the most it is going to be functional to allow me to exercise (recommended daily increase of 2.5 cups with exercise)  2) I have a tendency to feel dehydrated.   I remember very few things for the Oprah show, but one fact I remember her providing to her viewers is that if you feel thirsty, you are already dehydrated.

So 96oz a day...how do I accomplish that?

 - Out of the water I drink, I avoid crystal light/mio/etc to add to the water.  That sugary flavor (even if it has no sugar), it creates an unsatisfying feeling within me.  If anything, that sugar taste creates more of taste for foods in which I should not even be craving.

- When exercising, I drink prior, after each set/machine change, and after.  I have a "Pavia dog" reaction during my strength training because after each set, I am drinking water.  During my workout, I try to finish a full bottle to get me off to the right start.

- I use the glasses with the measurements I need.  At work, I use a 32 oz glass of my water.  I am striving for three of those a day so if I can finish one before lunch, I am good to go for the rest of the day.  Plus, I use a similar glass at my house so I know if I had one at work, one during my workout, then I need one more at home.

- Water pitcher in the refrigerator.  There is nothing like coming home to cold, cold water...fill up a pitcher and put it in their today.  As the temperature rises, you will not find satisfaction in that side, but cold, cold water.  While you want to avoid sugar, adding a little lemon or even ginger increase the taste factor on a hot day.

So I will keep pushing myself with this habits to get my water in daily (and keeping my phone away from the water!)

No comments:

Post a Comment