Monday, June 17, 2013

Why Not Tri: Training Day 1

Today was my first day of training for my upcoming Sprint Triathlon.  This is right, triathlon.  In my
effort to keep pushing myself beyond what I thought was possible, I decided my next goal is to swim, bike, and run in a timed matter.  (300 yards swimming, 12 miles biking, and 5k) I know I am able to do all three, but back to back..it will provide a challenge to me. 
Shirt from Running Chics

Unsure of how to handle the training for this program, I signed up for a woman's only triathlon training program with the downtown YMCA in partnership of the Healthy Living Alliance (http://hlaspringfield.org). I am even going to be able to participate in the training with additional members of iBody Directory here in Springfield.  A great group of ladies working towards a healthy lifestyle.

Knowing that this was the first day of training, I thought I would be showing up for an orientation: This is what to expect, this is the building, this is how you set up your bike.  That was not the case.  I found myself immediately on a bike.  This was my first time using a spinning bike, and I was not prepared for all of the adjustments necessary.  

Right away, the instructor started off peddling.  I was unable to get the bike adjusted in a way I felt comfortable, and I did not want to stop the instructor's flow.  I did speak up a couple of times, but still could not get the bike adjusted the right way.  Due to this and wanting to stay injury free...I just did basic biking.  I was able to do 4 miles on the bike.  After class, I talked to one of the instructors about meeting her in the next couple of days to get a spinning 101 session so I am caught up with the rest of the class.  

As I was leaving, I was talking to one of my new workout buddies, Wendy.  She explained that after two years of having medicial restrictions, she was finally able to cleared to work out.  While others may be working towards the goal of the triathlon, she has the goal just to get back in shape.  Her goal of getting healthy reminded me that while I struggled with the spinning aspect, that we were both on the same mission on working towards a healthier life.  

So three times a week (sometimes just two for me), I will be biking, swimming, or running.  The sessions are broken up where in most cases you are going to be doing two of the same things at once just like on race days!  So continue to follow me in my next challenge to tri the triathlon!  

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous6/17/2013

    Congrats on signing up for your first triathlon. Be carful, they are addictive!

    ReplyDelete